196 replies to this topic

#1 Jason Chapman

Jason Chapman

Godess

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,103 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 03:08 PM

Okay I pulled into the petrol station at 5:30am this morning. The tank had between empty and a quarter already in it. After putting £25 in the tank the needle just about made it to three quarters full, I drive a little Fiesta for JHC sake. It’ll cost between £30 - £35 to fill my car now, which means in a space of less than eight years petrol prices have doubled. Back when I was a student in Bradford it would cost me £15 to fill my 1400cc Ford Orion, that was in 2001 – 2002.

It seems down our way, petrol is going up week by week now. It used to be so a price would stick for a few months before going up. But now every time I pull into the petrol station it seems a penny or two is added on. I predict if this continues then by the end of 2009 you will be looking at £2 a litre in some parts of the country.

It’s not just fuel, food prices are being hiked up, I’m considering getting a bread maker, and stealing some of my Father’s garden off him so I can grow my own veg and stuff.

Since the credit crunch is forever in the news now, perhaps the moderators on this site would consider giving it its own section like China and the likes at the top of the news and current affairs forum.

How much is petrol a litre where you live, its £1.06.9 down here in sunny south wales

#2 Scorpio

Scorpio

• Best UK Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,711 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 03:57 PM

I just checked mine on petrolprices.com for unleaded

The Highest price in this area: 110.9p
The Average price in this area: 109.6p
The Lowest price in this area: 108.9p

Costs me £40 a week and i cant afford much more.

Also JC, i've changed the topic title slightly and pinned the thread so its always at the top, as you suggested as its a good idea :guitar:

#3 Harlequin

Harlequin

The Fallen One

• Best UK Moderators
  • 2,173 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 04:40 PM

I heard with dismay on the news last night, that Persimmon The UKs largest house builder is taking on no more new housing contracts, due to the fact they cannot sell them (prices too high).

This is the biggest indicator that things are just not working we have yet seen. The building industry is always the first to suffer in a recession (We are basically a luxury trade) and the last to recover.

Persimmon doing what it is doing is going to have knock-on effects too, with the country flooded with cheap labour, and a whole slew of builders now scratching for work...just watch the slow but steady rise in the unemployment figures.

Oh, and house prices rising again because of demand.

#4 Jason Chapman

Jason Chapman

Godess

• Members
  • 2,103 posts

Posted 25 April 2008 - 07:21 PM

The Highest price in this area: 110.9p
The Average price in this area: 109.6p
The Lowest price in this area: 108.9p

Bloody Hell as Ron Weasley would say. I reckon by the end of the year you’ll be looking at £1.50 per litre in your area Scorpio. Waitrose are selling petrol at £1.05.9 here, and you should see the queue on the forecourt. My poor girlfriend has to work in the petrol station sometimes, and some customers blame her for the petrol price rise. Isn’t it annoying when some people get angry over something like this they always blame the person least responsible. I was looking at this graph earlier to see how much prices have risen in the last decade.

Posted Image

I reckon the big oil companies aren’t telling us enough about how much oil is left in the ground. With the way we as a planet are consuming it I reckon the outlook is bleak. Petrol is going up by 5p+ a litre every month in some areas. Just on the phone to a friend and told him how lucky he was to live and work in the same town. But he still uses his car for a THREE minute journey to work, but even he is having to concede that he will have to use a bicycle he has had for FOUR years but has never ridden. I live about eight miles from where I work, and I’m thinking about getting a racer bike for the summer. I have thought about sharing a lift, however the only person that works in the same place and is from Abergavenny drives a bloody big 4x4. I have worked out that if we split the cost from week to week, it’ll cost me more every other week to run his 4x4 than filling my car to the top, because it costs £60+ to fill. You can’t bloody win can you. :guitar:

I can run my little Fiesta on £20 if need be, that’s cutting out travelling ten miles to a big super market once or twice a week and using local small supermarkets and other shops to do our shopping.

These oil giants and the major governments of the world are going to be faced with a stark choice within the next decade. Either they can fight for the last drop of oil, or they can work together to refining renewable energy sources. We live in a world we can to the most amazing things technology wise, so why don’t we stop investing billions into seeing how much technological crap you can stick in a mobile phone, and invest that money into saving our arses from a global energy meltdown.

As for that house building company Persimmon announcing that they’re not taking on any more building that doesn’t surprise me. And the rise in property prices you mentioned HQ, it’s only going to be short lived because the demand you mentioned is going to dry up simply because no one will want to sell for fear of losing thousands off the value off a property.

Personally I blame channel 4 and trashy morning TV. For the past decade all four main TV channels have been guilty of flooding our TV sets with programs that glamorise buying houses and making out how you can make a fortune. And I can’t believe that despite the current property market climate, with thousands of homeowners struggling to keep up their mortgage payments and thousands more facing repossession BBC, ITV and Channel 4 are still producing these programs, talk about rubbing salt into the wound. (Okay let’s take a deep breath here)

This is just the beginning folks, the Bank of England, Federal Reserve and all the other world banks can print off as much money as they want to try and halt this financial onslaught but in the end the money they print off will be as worthless as a saucepan made of ice cream.

#5 Jason Chapman

Jason Chapman

Godess

• Members
  • 2,103 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 04:42 PM

Visited Asda today, and I was barely able to find a parking space. Sometimes it seems as if people have never heard of the credit crunch. People were shopping as if was going out of fashion when I walked in. I think it could have something to do with this strike going on at the Grangemouth oil refinery. But that way up North, we have a depot down at Milford Haven unless they’ve gone out to.
Panic buying has started to sink in, in the south.

#6 Harlequin

Harlequin

The Fallen One

• Best UK Moderators
  • 2,173 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 05:21 PM

A touch of 'micro-management' by banks that is just not needed.

http://business.time...icle3818913.ece

So am I allowed to snear when I hear the line from the government that everything is still hunky dory?

#7 i am fire,fire,fire,fire

i am fire,fire,fire,fire

Kiss Ass Like A Bitch, So You Can Get Rich

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 26 April 2008 - 06:01 PM

Yea your allowed,

It seems that this movement of no buy-to-let maybe help prices but in the long run thew housing demand may stop and you have houses left, and who can buy them without the required amount.

Buyers-to-letters will return to snap up to remaining houses.

#8 Truth Teller

Truth Teller

Master

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 05:35 PM

In yesterdays paper, it was either The Mail or the Express, i cant remember, but they are tipping you will shortly paying five pounds a litre, you think its bad now, just give it a month or two.

#9 Jason Chapman

Jason Chapman

Godess

• Members
  • 2,103 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 06:39 PM

Hmm.... a bit of a glum prediction.

Here's the thing, what would the powers that be who run these oil companies have to gain by forcing people off the road. There will have to come a day when I'm going to have to switch my mode of transport. And I think it’s safe to say that will be within the next ten years.

When petrol does reaches the £2 a litre I think a lot of people will start think about the way they get about. Public transport will be too expensive. There’s obviously method to the price hiking madness, and it’s not just making a quick buck.

#10 zoroaster

zoroaster

Zen Personified

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 09:01 AM

Blame it on the Chinese.

#11 Truth Teller

Truth Teller

Master

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 12:13 PM

View Postzoroaster, on Apr 28 2008, 10:09 AM, said:

Blame it on the Chinese.

Why?

#12 zoroaster

zoroaster

Zen Personified

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 01:15 PM

Because they are the main cause of increased demand for oil, which has caused the price to rise.

#13 Truth Teller

Truth Teller

Master

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 01:30 PM

View Postzoroaster, on Apr 28 2008, 02:23 PM, said:

Because they are the main cause of increased demand for oil, which has caused the price to rise.

Dont think so, the missing links, have been mass producing goods for years, the Fuel prices have only just started rising at the this rate. All China are doing, is using the fuel, that other country's have stopped using, since China has taken work from the other manufacturers.

Or are you telling us that China uses more fuel in their brand new latest technological factories than other previous manufacturers?

And even if they were, who was it, that went over to the missing links, and talked them in to Capitalism, can you guess which country had that bright idea?

Can you tel us which country it was that caused the loss of jobs all around the world to China?

Edited by Truth Teller, 28 April 2008 - 01:32 PM.

#14 zoroaster

zoroaster

Zen Personified

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 01:50 PM

View PostTruth Teller, on Apr 28 2008, 08:38 AM, said:

View Postzoroaster, on Apr 28 2008, 02:23 PM, said:

Dont think so, the missing links, have been mass producing goods for years, the Fuel prices have only just started rising at the this rate. All China are doing, is using the fuel, that other country's have stopped using, since China has taken work from the other manufacturers.

Or are you telling us that China uses more fuel in their brand new latest technological factories than other previous manufacturers?

And even if they were, who was it, that went over to the missing links, and talked them in to Capitalism, can you guess which country had that bright idea?

Can you tel us which country it was that caused the loss of jobs all around the world to China?
What I'm saying is a fact.

You incorrectly presuppose the world economy has not been growing, which it has.

No country "caused the loss of jobs all around the world to China."

#15 kobay

kobay

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 09:38 PM

IMHO Alistair Darling and Gordon Brown is doing a good job despite things that were not they're fault. We cannot blame them for the state of our economy. I blame the immigrants and the irish for the IRA and what they did for us in the eighties.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users